All enrolment notifications (accepted or waitlisted) have been sent on August 31, 2022. Please check your inbox for an email by firstname.lastname@example.org with “[CSCW SV 2022]” in the title. It is also possible that the email is in the spam folder instead.
The enrollment for CSCW 2022 student volunteers is now open! Student volunteers (SVs) are essential for a successful conference. Being an SV offers a unique opportunity to understand the workings of a conference and to interact closely with peers and senior researchers in the field. CSCW 2022 will be a multi-week virtual conference and we are looking for SVs to assist in preparing and running the conference.
SV Program at a Glance
- We are seeking SVs for pre-conference and during conference support.
- Important dates:
- August 22, 2022 (extended): Deadline to enroll for the SV lottery
- August 31, 2022: Notification of enrolment result (accepted or waitlisted)
- Submit your application at https://new.chisv.org/conference/cscw2022
- In return for your work, you will get a complimentary CSCW 2022 Conference registration, among other benefits.
How to Apply
Volunteers must be undergraduate, Master’s, or Ph.D. students during the 2021-2022 academic year. Students of all backgrounds, regardless of discipline, and from all geographic locations are encouraged to apply. You do not need to have a paper accepted to participate. No previous SV experience is required, but we are looking for enthusiastic and reliable people.
Go to https://new.chisv.org/ and create an account (or log-in with your existing account). Then, go to https://new.chisv.org/conference/cscw2022 to submit your application. The deadline for registering is August 22, 2022 (AOE).
Please note that enrollment in the “CHISV” system does not guarantee your spot as an SV. We will run a random lottery that selects across the received applications and notify individuals of their status (accepted or waitlisted) on August 31, 2022.
What Will I Do as a Volunteer?
All SVs agree to an informal contract, where you agree to:
- Commit to 12-15 hours of work between Nov 8 and Nov 22 or before the conference if you are selected for pre-conference support.
- Attend the training session that will take place some time before the conference. We will aim to accommodate time zone differences.
- Be available and perform assigned tasks in a timely manner.
With CSCW 2022 being a multi-week virtual experience, the SV tasks include more preparatory and operative work, meaning that more support is required both pre-conference and during conference. SVs will be pivotal in assisting attendees in navigating the virtual infrastructures to ensure a smooth CSCW experience. Along with the organizing committee, SVs will be putting A LOT of effort into helping remote CSCW run smoothly.
How Will I Benefit From Serving as a SV?
Student volunteers are essential to the success of the CSCW conference. In return for the help at the conference, student volunteers receive many benefits, including:
- Free conference registration.
- Social events with your peers.
- Networking events with senior researchers.
- Even more awesome SV benefits are still being planned and discussed, so stay tuned!
While the volunteer duties are not always glamorous, they provide a unique opportunity to interact closely with CSCW contributors, attendees, and other student volunteers. Volunteering provides a structured, cordial environment for students in various stages of their research careers to become part of the CSCW community. Students often report that the ‘social networks’ they build from these meetings are the most significant benefit of serving as a volunteer. Indeed, it is not uncommon for future collaborations, internships/jobs, and friendships to be made through the SV experience.
To communicate with the SV Chairs, please email to email@example.com. Reply-to-all on the following correspondence so that all of us stay in the loop and can better assist you.
We can’t wait to have you as a part of our incredible SV program!
- Gionnieve Lim (Singapore University of Technology and Design, SG)
- Yoyo Tsung-Yu Hou (Cornell University, USA & Taiwan)
SV Co-Chairs, CSCW 2022