Welcome to CSCW 2023! We believe in respect, compassion, understanding and inclusion. We expect all community members to act in accordance with these values. Fostering the free exchange of ideas requires building a conference that welcomes people of all backgrounds. Diversity of opinion and background is a fundamental strength of our community. The members of our community must have the freedom to espouse and explore a wide range of ideas. Toward that goal, ACM CSCW conferences aim to create spaces where every participant can express themselves without fear of judgement or harassment.
The ACM CSCW Codes of Conduct guides the expected, professional behavior of conference participants, including:
- Treating everyone with respect and consideration; under the umbrella of respect, we expect all participants be mindful of their speech and behaviors both in person and online.
- Communicating openly and thoughtfully with others and being considerate of the multitude of views and opinions that may be different than your own.
- Being respectful and mindful in your critique of ideas.
- Being mindful of your fellow participants.
- Respecting participants wishes to not be photographed, respecting their gender pronouns, respecting their space, and their right to engage or disengage in conversation.
We believe disagreement and differences of opinion are a natural part of social and academic life and are important to work through when building community and learning from one another. At the same time, we acknowledge that societal power structures are even more challenging in academia, which is an inherently hierarchical community. In order to foster an environment of inclusion, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, or abuse in any form. Participants who engage in harassment may be removed from the conference at the discretion of the organizers.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices
- Deliberate intimidation or antagonism
- Exclusionary jokes or comments
- Unwelcome sexual attention or physical contact
- Sustained disruption of presentations, events, or online discussion
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Comments that reinforce social structures of domination (related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion)
- Threats of violence.